There are those in our congregation
who still remember the old wooden building which once stood where our present
pastorium now stands. That building served our community-for both Baptist
and Methodist-as a school and church facility. It was known as "The Meeting
dates on a newer building which were later covered with paint indicated
it was built in 1905. Some have said that material from the earlier building
was used in its construction. The new building continued to serve the community
for both church and school until the thirties when the school consolidated
with Dillard. There are still members in our church who went to that school.
November 1912, the Baptist in this community formally organized with 48
charter members and selected the name "Wolffork Missionary Baptist Church".
Terry Dickerson, age 98, is our only surviving charter member. J. T. Swanson
was elected as the first pastor for the church and J. P. Coleman, Ed Page,
Dock Smith and John Carnes were elected as deacons.
Dickerson age 98
October 21, 1997
is interesting that with each year something was added to the loosely organized
church that contributed to making it what it is today. Space will only
allow us to mention some of the most important events in our church history.
first record of an organized Sunday School and an elected superintendent,
J.E. Dickerson, is 1919. The first BYPU was organized in 1932. During J.
F. Marchman's pastorate a Women's Missionary Union was organized and the
first Vacation Bible School was formed. As the church was being repaired
in 1941, Sunday School rooms were added and in 1942, electric lights were
1948, Sunday School rooms in the rear of the church were added. In 1951,
prize money was received for community improvement and was used toward
buying new furniture. In 1957, Harry Jones was elected pastor and during
his pastorate water and indoor restrooms were installed.
1961, a donation and additional offering from members made it possible
for the church to purchase its first pastorium and call its first full
time pastor, Joe Straner. In 1967, plans were made to sell the old pastorium
and build a new one - still being used today. It was dedicated in May 1969,
just as Robert Bates came to us to pastor his very first church.
the church continued to grow, space became inadequate and in 1973, under
the pastorate of Roger Saunders, our church voted to build an education
building and add a baptistry to the sanctuary. It was completed in
1975, and the note burning and dedication took place on May 2, 1979, under
the pastorate of Judson Hall. In 1975, the cemetery land was enlarged through
land trading. In 1977, carpet was installed and in 1980, pews were covered
through a memorial fund. In 1983, community worship services were started
on each fifth Sunday evening. The Methodist and Baptist churches in the
valley joined together for services, each church taking their turn to host
the service and fellowship meal. The Presbyterians later joined us.
the present sanctuary was built
the aging sanctuary began to deteriorate and more space was needed, plans
were made in 1986, under the pastorate of Jimmy Logan, to build a new sanctuary,
which would provide double seating capacity. The old sanctuary was torn
down and the present one was started in July 1988. It was completed and
the first worship service was held in March 1989. The note burning and
dedication service for the new sanctuary took place during Homecoming,
October 1992, under the pastorate of Judson Hall.
the pastorate of Richard Daley, the new fellowship hall was completed and
dedicated July 4, 1995. In August 1995 the WMU started the Memory Garden
- a garden of donated plants and garden structures in honor of and in memory
of loved ones. Many of the plants came from gardens of the original members
of this church. The garden continues to expand.
Garden - August 1995
recent years, growth and change of times has necessitated the need for
some good as well as some not so popular changes for our church. Members
recognized needs for stronger organization in some areas and also saw the
need for protecting what members throughout the years have dedicated their
faith and stewarded their time and money to establish. In 1993, a church
council was started and policies for the church cemetery and for using
the facilities have been adopted. The unfortunate locking of the church
facilities - except for the sanctuary - was a difficult but inevitable
decision by members.
the changes made within the structure of the national Women's Missionary
Union have come changes in our own organization. Named Women on Missions
- with a greater emphasis on mission outreach - they now provide facilitators
for other sub-groups as a means for reaching out to other women in the
community. Our church has one of the most active, although one of the smallest
WMU organizations in the county.
1996 the church voted to place their cemetery fund with the Georgia Baptist
Foundation. In June 1997, the church received a sizable gift which
the members voted to tithe ten percent toward missions and made a commitment
to use the rest to establish a position for a part time "associate pastor
with responsibilities in music and with youth" for a three year period.
we celebrate our 85th year we reflect on the words of Edith Parker 1986,
"We thank God for those in the past who rendered such dedicated service
and we give Him praise and glory for anything that we might accomplish.
Ceremony and social - 1921
of Educational Building - 1975
This is a picture of the inside
of the Church at
Christmas taken by Carol Dickerson